Sunday, November 27, 2011

I'm Thankful For Raz-kids.com

This long weekend has given me a lot of time to reflect on what I'm thankful for as an educator at Garvy School. As a candidate for National Board Certification, I am being asked to make meaningful connections with families, the community, and most importantly provide evidence of student achievement. "How does it impact student learning?" is a constant question in the certification process. I've already written about the energy that the Kindergartner's bring with them and their passion for learning, but in addition I must provide EVIDENCE of achievement. It's easy to go on and on about how much I enjoy working with this age group, their innocence, and I could describe how I see them all growing throughout the year. At the same time, National Board is forcing me to provide concrete evidence. As a result I've been setting goals and collecting data to prove that the instruction I provide is working.


Just last week, Mrs. McGlade purchased an online subscription to Raz-kids for all K-2 classrooms at Garvy. This website is an amazing resource for all students to make progress in reading. I am so thankful to have it as a home-school connection. Already 15 of 25 students have logged in and have collectively spent 544 minutes listening to books, recorded themselves reading books, and taken comprehension quizzes. This website allows me to listen to their reading and respond with personal messages. Students can move from one level to the next as well as explore higher level books that can be shared with their families. My favorite part is that Raz-kids provides me with charts and graphs as evidence of student achievement. I'm so pumped to see continual reading growth throughout the remainder of this school year. Thank you Mrs. McGlade for funding this fun and engaging resource, we're all very thankful!

If you haven't tried it yet here is the login page;
Search teacher: bchristinaa
Find your user name and click on the correct password icon (it was sent home on a note card and I will send another home this week).
Have fun reading!

I'd love some parent feedback! What do you like best about Raz-kids.com? Is it easy to use? Does your child work on it independently or do you work together?



2 comments:

Sara Rummelhoff said...

I just wanted to say how much I love this program. It is an excellent resource in teaching children how to read. Thank you for allowing our children to learn and have so much fun in the process.

Christina Bachman said...

You're welcome! I'm glad the kids are enjoying it. I have already seen gains in their reading abilities!