Thursday, June 23, 2011

Just Right Books

Over the past couple of days, I've been going to teacher meetings and learning a lot about how to inspire young readers. I'm so proud of my students for knowing how to read and having a solid foundation of early literacy skills. In the meetings, I keep learning that kids need "just right" books. These are books that can be read mostly on your own, but might need help with a few words from an adult. I've done a little internet research and found some titles that I think you might enjoy!

If you're a reading Level B:

Cat on the Mat by Brian Wildsmith
Chickens by Peter Brady
Fun with Hats by Lucy Malka
Hats around the World by Liza Charlesworth
Have You Seen My Cat? by Eric Carle
Have You Seen My Duckling? by Nancy Tafuri
The Headache by Rod Hunt
Mrs. Wishy-washy by Joy Cowley
Where’s the Fish? by Taro Gom

If you're a reading Level E:

Ants by Cheryl Coughla
Bumble Bees by Cheryl Coughlan
A Buzz Is Part of a Bee by Carolyn Lunn
Catch Me if you Can by Bernard Most
Dinosaurs Dance by Larry Brimner
Eat Your Peas, Louise by Pegeen Snow
Five Silly Fishermen by Roberta Edwards
The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss

And of course my favorite book of all time...Go Dog Go by P.D. Eastman


Happy Reading Friends!

4 comments:

Samantha Schoen said...

Thank you for all the fun posts! We look forward to visiting the Blog to see your new posts. Our goal is to read a book a day, so we are ready for first grade.

Christina Bachman said...

You're welcome, I'm so happy you're reading them! What an admirable goal you have, Dehne is certainly going to be ready for 1st grade.

Laura Scully said...

We just read Boo Cow by Patricia Baehr - quite suspenseful, there's a ghost cow! If the kids have an opportunity to read for their birthdays in first grade, Michael might pick this one! Art Dog by Thacher Hurd is fun. We're enjoying a variety of books by Jan Thomas.....Rhyming Dust Bunnies, The Big Mean Dust Bunnies, Can you make a Scary Face and The Doghouse.

Christina Bachman said...

Your "boyz" have been busy reading, that's GREAT! I'll look for Boo Cow at the library, it sounds really funny.