Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reading Goals

At the end of the school year a librarian from Chicago Public Library came to tell us all about the summer reading program, Book Beats. Have you been keeping a record of the books you're reading? Have you gotten any cool prizes from the library?


Dehne set a goal to read 30 books this summer and she just finished her goal, WAY TO GO! Some of her favorites were Fancy Nancy, Frog and Toad, and Dr. Seuss. As a reward for meeting her goal, her mom took her to Target where she was able to choose a prize. Good choice Dehne!


I've read a few books this summer; Animal Dreams, The Help, The Hunger Games, Accomplished Teaching: The Key to National Board Certification, and I just started Catching Fire. I'll be reading Mockingjay (the 3rd and final book in the Hunger Games trilogy) and The World According to Garp before the start of the school year. I love to read, so I probably won't reward myself with any special treats. However, I don't love to clean my condo or do laundry so when I complete these tasks maybe I'll treat myself to a new nail polish.

Are you looking for a few suggestions of books to read? Here are a few of my favorite stories to keep you ready for 1st grade:

Henry and Mudge Series by Cynthia Rylant
Young Cam Jansen by David A. Adler
Amelia Bedeila by Peggy Parish
Francis Series by Russell Hoban

1 comment:

Mommy and Daddy Schoen said...

YEAH Dehne - we are so proud of you!!! Onto our next goal. Maybe 10 books for a smaller prize. Sounds obtainable!!!!