Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Virtual Field Trip

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is one of my favorite TV memories from when I was a kid. At the beginning of each episode Mister Rogers would change his sweater and shoes while singing me a song that requested my friendship. I would excitedly think, "YES, I'll be your neighbor Mr. Rogers!" On my recent vacation to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania I learned that Fred Rogers lived there and was an active part of their community. The city has a huge bronze statue of him on the river. When I was visiting, someone had placed a large red cardigan sweater on the statue.


I'd love to share the same experiences I had as a kid; Mister Rogers songs, the trolley to the Neighborhood of Make Believe, and the fun field trips we'd take. Here is a link to videos that will take you on a variety of virtual field trips. Let me warn you, they are not in 3D or even high definition but the information is fun and I think you will enjoy them (especially the story read aloud with author Eric Carle).


Thank you PBS for keeping the spirit of Mister Rogers alive for young children everywhere! Click on the picture below to go to his website.


What is your favorite PBS show?

3 comments:

Laura Scully said...

Michael's favorite PBS show is: Wild Kratts because Chris and Martin protect the creatures of the world from danger and defend the animals against bad guys. They have creature power suits! Cool!

On another subject: In Junie B., First Grader (at last!) on page 66 she spells "stomick"and crosses it out and above it writes "stomach" in her journal and she has a website.

Michael says "Hi" Reed and Mark are outside playing basketball

Laura Scully said...

The kids haven't seen this but check it out. Even the most patient man I grew up with gets frazzled. He seems to have a great sense of humor despite the difficulty of the situation. Again, teaching us a lesson to laugh when things aren't going as planned.

http://www.iptv.org/video/detail.cfm/7219/mstr_20100318_mister_rogers_neighborhood_outtakes

Christina Bachman said...

I can't blame him, putting up a tent is a lot of work. I'll have to remember to laugh the next time I'm having difficulty in a situation. Thanks for sharing and a big HELLO to Michael, Reed, and Mark!